It’s thoroughly December. So with a matter of weeks left of 2015, I’m going to review / update my 2015 New Year’s Resolutions.
Warning: this post is more for my benefit than for you guys.
IF YOU WANT TO SKIP THE SELF-INDULGENT WAFFLE AND REFLECTION AND HEAD STRAIGHT FOR MY MAIN CONCLUSIONS, CLICK HERE.
GOALS FOR 2015 & (previously) EXPECTED DATES
- [GEN/KEY] Create a timetable with slots, just like at school, and fill that timetable intelligently with all I need to achieve… and STICK TO IT!!!! [JAN]
- [LANG] Continue my programme of 30′ minimum every day each for Swedish and Spanish using Memrise and Duolingo. [Effective immediate]
- [LANG] Do an A2 DELE and at least begin the course which leads to a B1 DELE. [JUL-DEC]
- [LANG] Do an A2 Swedex and at least begin working towards B1. [JUL-DEC]
- [LANG] Complete Duff and Taylor GCSE 1 again. Upon completion, look into doing GCSEs in Ancient Greek again. [Begin JAN; one Chapter per fortnight, expected finish date NOV/DEC]
- [ART] Do one cartoon per six weeks; begin to upload them and/or other artwork online. [Begin Jan]
- [ART] Get the first draft of Part II of a book I’m writing, code name 21CLF, finished in a “polished draft”. [JUN]
- [ART] Get the first draft of Part III of “21CLF” finished. [DEC]
- [ART] Get one feature length script up to 2nd/3rd draft stage.
- [ART] Send off the pilot of one of my sitcom series ideas to a producer. [MAR]
- [ART] Over the course of a year, do an average of one 30′ sitcom script per six weeks — total redrafts of scripts are counted towards this goal.
- [LIFE] My weight has ballooned again: cut myself down to a healthy BMI & weight (around 13st) and stay there through healthy changes of diet and exercise regime, specifically, a minimum of three days going to the gym, daily use of the work gym for 30′ intense sessions, and less snacks. [Begin JAN]
- [LIFE] Finish buying the/a house. [FEB]
- [LIFE] Pass my driving theory test and begin lessons.
- [LIFE] Save ideally a minimum 20% of my post-tax income (or minimum £300, ideally £600, per month). [Begin 27th JAN]
- [WORK] Sit and pass the International Phonetics Association exam. [JUN/DEC depending on when they run it this year]
- [WORK] Research and apply to do an MA/MPhil in an area of Linguistics. [JAN/FEB]
- [WORK] Begin a DELTA to improve my ESOL career. [ASAP]
- [WORK] Do the first two editing courses, set up as an official business, network and set up online media relating to the business. [ASAP]
- [WORK] Get a better paid job. [ASAP]
- [GEN] Go to Thailand with the Missus. [during Thai dry season]
- [GEN] Finish reading the Koran. [DEC]
GOALS FOR 2015: PROGRESS
- FAILED. No. I keep doing my daily “to do” lists. This might have something to do with the lack of progress all round…
- FAILING. Stopped Memrise, CatSpanish, and since my Summer holidays, I aven’t picked up Duolingo at all. Till June, I was succeeding 100%; since July, failing 100%. Very disappointing.
- FAILED. Big time. Haven’t even opened the book. Keep going to Greece on holiday, though; Modern Greek’s appeal is growing by the day…
- FAILING. But I am trying. I am consistently working on and thinking about cartoons, but it is genuinely more like one per six months. Need to be more consistent!
- FAILED. Started well. But got side-tracked a few months ago (Summer holidays again!), so close to the finishing line. I need to set aside like a full day soon and just go for it!
- FAILED. Nowhere near. This is dependent on getting Goal 7 done first (see previous note).
- FAILED. Nowhere near. Very disappointed. Creative stuff is very important to me, and I am failing dismally. I have been putting this off so as to focus all effort on Goals 7 & 8…
- FAILED. Have not gone back to redraft an episode, so clearly haven’t sent one off.
- FAILED. Wow, was I optimistic…
- FAILED. I got my weight down a little, then it shot up, then it went down a bit again, and now it’s right back up again… It’s around 16st 3lbs / 227lbs now. Pathetic. Being a healthy weight is a simple as not eating too much crap and exercising regularly.
- SUCCEEDED!! My proudest achievement this year, I’ve gotta say. The only thing I desperately wanted to do which I’ve done in 2015.
- FAILED. Not even started…
- FAILED/N.A. Savings are highly variable. Plus, I’ve re-evaluated my financial plan so this may no longer be relevant. Unsure.
- FAILED. Haven’t even begun revising.
- FAILED. See Goal 14’s Progress for in depth coverage.
- FAILED. No money, no time, not emotionally ready.
- FAILED. But not for lack of trying. No money, no time are the main problems here.
- FAILED. I’m earning more dough through various avenues, but I haven’t yet found the standard higher paid job.
- N/A. Not happening, but it isn’t the time. Who knows…
- FAILING. I’m reading it, but I’m behind my schedule.
So, that’s ONE SUCCEEDED out of 22, the rest have FAILED already or are FAILING fast… not a fantastic hit rate, I’ve got to say. I had a very busy Summer with several holidays — mostly friends’ weddings. Kind of derailed me a bit.
2015 can be characterised thus. Great first quarter, followed by stagnation in Q2, then total chaos and shambling along in Q3 and 4. The things most important to me — getting a better paid and more fulfilling job / furthering my career, learning languages, and creative / artistic endeavours — have all fallen on their arse.
But I think this looking over my goals is the shot in the bum I need!
I think the key to my failures in 2015 has been, as usual, LACK OF CONSISTENCY. I’ve done a lot this year, a lot of good stuff. But I’ve not managed to be consistent. I’ve had strong bursts and relapses. It’s been stop-start. Yet most successful endeavours in life require non-stop toil for an indefinite / never-ending period.
For 2016, I think I need to focus on how to maintain consistency especially in my routine. Whenever I have had successful periods in my life, it has been down to a consistent routine religiously followed (and sleep deprivation!).
Filing my goals away in nice folders maybe hasn’t kept me on my toes enough. I should print out copies of my goals, keep them in my wallet, and look at them daily; as the lists get crumpled and decay by overuse, this will stand as a reminder and prompt to make sure my dreams aren’t also decaying.
Right now I know I’m not doing everything I can to succeed. I’m missing one key element at least: consistency. Let’s see if I can get a grip here and start 2016 the way I mean to carry on.
© 2015 Bryan A. J. Parry